Insect Trivia – Termites
- Termites contain a one celled protozoa in their digestive tract that allows them to convert cellulosic materials (wood) into useable substance.
- Subteranean Termites live in underground colonies and surface for food.
- The average size of the Eastern Subterranean Termite varies from 60,000 to 1 million workers
- The average size of the Formosan Termite Colony is 350,000 to 2 million workers.
- Termites communicate through a system called trophallaxis. This is the exchange of bodily fluids between termites.
- Eastern Subterranean Termites will forage underground up to 260 linear feet from one spot and cover .5 acres
- Formosan Termites will forage 330 feet from one spot 1.5 acres
- Beagles have been and can be used in the detection of termites, wood boring beetles, powder post beetles, and carpenter ants.
Leave a Comment