Insect Trivia – Moths & ButterfliesJune 15, 2010
Insect Trivia – BeetlesJune 15, 2010
- Honey bees have 2 compound eyes and 3 simple eyes. The compound eyes have 6900 facet giving them excellent vision.
- While searching for food a honey bee may travel 60 miles in one day.
- Honey bees fly about 15 miles per hour – their wings beat over 11,000 cycles per minute
- To make a single pound of honey, the honey bees the hive may have to make 10 million trips, traveling over 55,000 miles and visiting over 2 million flowers.
- Honey bees can fly while carrying up to 24 times their own weight in pollen.
- The honey bee is not native to the United States. It is believed to have been introduced by the early European settlers.
- Honey is created by honey bees constantly regurgitating nectar and allowing it to dehydrate.
- Americans eat about one pound of honey each year. Ingesting local honey has been shown to reduce pollen allergies.
- Bee venom is used to treat Rheumatoid Arthritis and Multiple Sclerosis.
- The Queen bee determines whether her eggs will develop into male or females depending upon the needs of the hive. The vast majority of eggs are females because all of the workers are females.