Insect Trivia – AntsJune 15, 2010
Insect Trivia – BeesJune 15, 2010
- Silk comes from the cocoons of the true silk moth.
- The larva spins its cocoon using a single stand of silk that is about 1500 feet long.
- More than 25,000 cocoons must be unraveled to make one pound of silk thread.
- The largest butterfly in the world is the Birdwing Butterfly from the Solomon Islands. Its wing span is 12 inches.
- Monarch Butterflies have been known to fly over 2000 miles as they fly south in late summer.
- Some caterpillars have over 4000 muscles by contrast humans have 792.