Ants vs. Termite Swarmers – Know the differenceJanuary 16, 2010
Insect Trivia – AntsJune 15, 2010
- Termites contain a one celled protozoa in their digestive tract that allows them to convert cellulosic materials (wood) into useable substance.
- Subteranean Termites live in underground colonies and surface for food.
- The average size of the Eastern Subterranean Termite varies from 60,000 to 1 million workers
- The average size of the Formosan Termite Colony is 350,000 to 2 million workers.
- Termites communicate through a system called trophallaxis. This is the exchange of bodily fluids between termites.
- Eastern Subterranean Termites will forage underground up to 260 linear feet from one spot and cover .5 acres
- Formosan Termites will forage 330 feet from one spot 1.5 acres
- Beagles have been and can be used in the detection of termites, wood boring beetles, powder post beetles, and carpenter ants.
Click here for WRDW story on winter weather’s affect on summer bug infestations.